Getting Started with ArangoDB Oasis
The instructions below are a quick start guide on how to set up your first ArangoDB deployment in Oasis. It covers everything from creating an account to using the Oasis web interface to set up a test organization, project and deployment, as well as accessing and deleting the deployment.
For general information about ArangoDB Oasis, see arangodb.com/managed-service/.
A video series on how to get started with Oasis is also available:
Please have following information at hand for registration:
- An email address, required for email verification.
- A mobile phone number, required for SMS verification.
One mobile phone number will be associated with one account and cannot be used for multiple accounts.
Creating a new account
- Go to cloud.arangodb.com.
- To reach the sign up, press the Sign up for free button or click the Sign Up link in the header navigation of the start page.
- Once on the sign up page, select the Sign up tab.
- Select the type of sign up you would like to use (GitHub, Google, or
- For Github or Google please follow on-screen instructions.
- For the email address option, type your desired email address in the email field and type a strong password in the password field.
- Press the Sign up button
You will receive a verification email. In that mail, press the Verify my email address link or button.
- In case the ArangoDB Oasis start page opens, press the Log in button or click the Log in link in the header navigation.
- A form appears asking for your mobile phone number. Enter the country code and the number of the mobile phone you want to use for this account.
- A verification code will be sent via SMS to the mobile number you entered. Enter the verification code.
- A form will appear asking for your name. Enter your first and last name, and then press the Save button.
- A form will appear asking for the name of your organization. Enter your organization name, and then press the Create button. You can always change it later.
- You’re done and you should be redirected to the ArangoDB Oasis dashboard.
Organizations → Projects → Deployments
- ArangoDB Oasis supports multi-tenant setups via organizations.
- You can create your own organization(s) and invite collaborators or join existing ones via invites.
- Your organization contains projects.
- Your projects hold your deployments.
Also see the Project Guide.
Creating a new project
- In the main navigation, in the Projects section, click the Overview link.
- Click the New project button.
- Enter a name and optional description for your new project.
- Click the Create button.
- You will now be taken to the project summary page.
Also see the video Projects with ArangoDB Oasis.
Creating a new deployment
- If you don’t have a project, yet, create one first.
- In the main navigation, in the Projects section, click on the project for which you want to create a new deployment.
- Navigate to the Deployments tab. You will see an empty list or a list with your project’s deployments.
- Press the New deployment button.
Also see the video Create a Deployment on ArangoDB Oasis.
In the General section
- Enter the name and optional short description for the deployment.
In the Location section
- Select the Provider and Region of the provider.
- Select the DB Version. Note: If you don’t know which DB version to select, leave the version selected by default.
- In the CA Certificate field
- Either create a new certificate by typing the desired name for it and hitting enter or clicking on the name when done.
- Or, if you already have certificates, select the desired one.
- Optional: In the IP whitelist field, select the desired one in case you want to limit access to your deployment to certain IP ranges. To create a whitelist, navigate to your project and select the IP whitelists tab (also see the video IP Whitelists with ArangoDB Oasis).
In the Configuration section
Choose between a One shard and Sharded deployment.
One shard deployments are suitable when your data set fits in a single node. They are ideal for graph use cases.
Sharded deployments are suitable when your data set is larger than a single node. The data will be sharded across multiple nodes.
- Select the memory size of your node.
- Select the disk size of your node. The available ranges for the disk size depend on the selected memory size.
- In addition to memory and disk size as in the one shard configuration, select the number of nodes for your deployment. The more nodes you have, the higher the replication factor.
- If you’re unsure about the sharded setup, you can go through our wizard. Click on Help me decide to open the recommendation process.
- The wizard will guide you through a set of questions and display a recommendation.
- Click Use recommendation to apply it to your sharded configuration.
In the Summary section
- Review the configuration, and if you’re ok with the setup press the Create button.
- You will be taken to the deployment overview page. Note: Your deployment is at that point being bootstrapped, this process will take a few minutes. Once it is ready, you will receive a confirmation email.
Installing a new certificate
Each certificate you create in ArangoDB Oasis you will also need to install on your local machine. This operation will slightly vary between operating systems.
- In the main navigation, in the Projects section, click on the project for which you want to install a new certificate.
Navigate to the Certificates tab.
- From the list of certificates, click on the one you want to install.
- Navigate to the tab of the operating system of your choice.
Under Installation instructions, copy the commands by pressing the Copy to clipboard button.
- Open a console on your local computer and run the commands that are provided.
Also see the video Certificates with ArangoDB Oasis.
Accessing your deployment
- In the main navigation, in the Projects section, click on the project for which you created a deployment earlier.
- Navigate to the Deployments tab.
- For each deployment in your project, you see the status. While your new deployment is being set up, it will display the bootstrapping status.
- Press the View button to show the deployment page.
- When a deployment displays a status of OK, you can access it.
- Click the copy icon next to the root password. This will copy the deployment root password to your clipboard. You can also click the view icon to unmask the root password to see it.
- You will also receive an email that the deployment is available, with a URL to open it up.
- Click on the Open endpoint button or on the endpoint URL property to open the dashboard of your new ArangoDB deployment.
- In the username field type
root, and in the password field paste the password that you copied earlier.
- Press the Login button.
- Press the Select DB: _system button
At this point your ArangoDB deployment is available for you to use — Have fun!
Deleting your deployment
This operation cannot be undone and all deployment data will be lost, please proceed with caution.
- In the main navigation, in the Projects section, click on the project that holds the deployment you wish to delete.
- Navigate to the Deployments tab.
- Click on the deployment you wish to delete.
- Navigate to the Danger zone tab.
- Press the Delete deployment button.
- In the modal dialog, confirm the deletion by entering
Delete!into the designated text field.
- Start the deletion by pressing the Yes button.
- You will be taken back to the deployments page of the project. The deployment being deleted will display the Deleting status until it has been successfully removed.
Free-to-try vs. professional service
ArangoDB Oasis comes with a free-to-try plan that lets you test our managed service for free for 14 days. After the trial period, your deployments will automatically be deleted.
You can convert to the professional service model at any time by adding your billing details and at least one payment method.
Adding billing details
- In the main navigation, in the Organization section, click the Overview link.
- Navigate to the Billing tab.
- In the Billing details section, click the Edit button.
- Enter your billing address and EU VAT identification number, if applicable.
- Optionally, enter the email address(es) to which invoices should be emailed automatically
Adding a payment method
- In the Payment methods section, click the Add button.
- From the dropdown, select a payment type (currently, only credit card is supported).
- Enter your credit card details in the form.
- Click the Save button.