Working with ArangoDB: Insights from Francis at Boostport

As an open-source project we are always happy when we learn about new projects that use ArangoDB and we are thankful for any feedback; on how working with ArangoDB and/or interacting with the team – has helped your projects to develop. If you have a story you want to share, please get in touch.

Recently we have received a nice feedback from Francis (Boostport) that reached us with the launch of his new product. Parts of Boostport are realized using Foxx-JavaScript extensions on ArangoDB:

“I really enjoyed working on ArangoDB. It’s very stable, well-documented and the API docs are very clear, as I use the REST api. Support is also top-notch. Bugs were often fixed hours or days after discovery and in one case, after I submitted an enhancement request for custom AQL functions, Jan implemented them over the next few days.

For me, the most important feature is being able to build custom AQL functions in javascript. This allowed me to easily perform analytics on social data, generate the appropriate views and send them back to the client for consumption. Finally, I also really liked how minimal configuration is needed to get it up and running. As a plus, I like how you can set up replication using the REST interface. :)”

(more…)

More info...

LoopBack Connector for ArangoDB: Seamless Integration

ArangoDB can be used as a backend data source for APIs that you compose with the popular open-source LoopBack Node.js framework.

strongloop

In a recent blog article on StrongLoop, Nicholas Duffy explains how to use his new loopback-connector-arango connector to access ArangoDB:

Getting Started with the Node.js LoopBack Connector for ArangoDB

The tutorial uses the loopback-connector-arango which is available as npm and a demo application which is available from Github. (more…)

More info...

Prepare your answers… ArangoDB at NYC Database-Month on 11/11

There is a warm-up routine on every evening at the NYC Database Month. Speakers ask trivia questions to the auditorium, related to the topic of the following talk. The first correct answer wins some “swag”. On Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2014 Max from ArangoDB will talk about Polyglot Persistence and multi-model NoSQL databases.

To get a competitive advantage, here are some questions Max might ask:

Q: What does the term Polyglot Persistence mean?
A: Use a variety of different data storage technologies for different kinds of data. (src: Martin Fowler)

Q: What types on NoSQL data-/ storage-models does ArangoDB support?
A: key/values, documents, graphs

Q: NoSQL often comes with restrictions – which of the following features are missing in ArangoDB: joins, transactions, ACID guarantees?
A: none. (ArangoDB even scales and provides competitive performance)

If you are around NYC, let’s grab a seat and watch Max on stage: http://www.databasemonth.com/database/polyglot-persistence

Can’t be there? Then here’s your chance. Be the first to answer the following question in the comments below and get a new ArangoDB t-shirt:

Q: How many different programming languages are supported by ArangoDB?

More info...

Ideas and Facts from Scotland.js in Edinburgh | ArangoDB ’13

Test Driven Development

I have been one of the lucky attendants of scotland.js in Edinburgh recently.
It was a really nice & informative conference, thanks to all people that made it possible.
I did really like to see that TDD is reaching the front-end developers finally.
A lot of useful tools for this have been presented by James Shore, Bernard Kobos and Sebastian Golasch.
In ArangoDB, TDD is in action all day and I am looking forward to improving our front-end testing even further using these awesome tools.

Front-end Development meets NoSQL

Furthermore several talks focussing on front-end development have been given, e.g. by Gregor Martynus presenting Hoodie.js.
These front-end talks and my discussions with other attendees gave me the impression that front-end developers spend a lot of time deciding which database they should use. (more…)

More info...

ArangoDB: Using JavaScript in the Database | ArangoDB 2012

Jan was invited as a speaker to “Js.Everywhere” in Paris. He talked about using Javascript in a database, well, ArangoDB, to be precise, giving lots of examples on “actions” and related concepts in ArangoDB.

More info...

Data Modeling in a Schema-Free Environment | ArangoDB 2012

Jan Steemann giving a talk on nosql data modelling at FrosconWe just came back from FroSCon, a large, international open source conference near Bonn, Germany. Jan Steemann, one of the core developers of ArangoDB, had a talk on modelling data in a schema-free world. Jan was given the largest room in the conference for this talk, fortunately a lot of people showed up and even stayed ;-).

You can find Jan’s presentation below.

(more…)

More info...

ArangoDB at NoSQL Matters Berlin, Buzzwords, or Euruko | 2012

Just a quick note: We are on the road… you can meet us in person at the following conferences:
(more…)

More info...

Wanted: Python API Contributors for NoSQL Project | ArangoDB Blog 2012

Note: We changed the name of the database in May 2012. AvocadoDB is now called ArangoDB.

Are you a Python expert and want to contribute to an open source project? We need your help writing an API for Python for a new nosql database!

AvocadoDB is a rather new open source project – a fancy nosql database with a couple of interesting features:

• Schema-free schemata
  • Usable as application server
  • Consequent use of JavaScript
  • multi-threaded
  • Flexible data modeling (key value pairs, document store, graph database)
  • Free index choice
  • Configurable durability
  • Support for modern storage hardware like SSD and large caches

You'll find more information on AvocadoDB here.

AvocadoDB is  100% open source using the Apache Licence 2.0.
Work in progress: general API and APIs for Ruby & PHP
Part of what we are currently doing is working on the APIs.  AvocadoDB itself will provide

• a REST interface
  • a query by example API
  • a query language for more complex queries

Good news for the Ruby community:  Thanx to @tisba, @moonbeamlabs and @a2800276, AvocadoDB will get a nice Ruby API and integration into Rails. Jan is implementing the PHP Api.
Python? Python!
Unfortunately we are no Python experts. Therefore we need the help of the community to support Python properly. We are looking for someone willing and able to develop a  Python driver for AvocadoDB. It would be awesome to  provide a  document object manager like mongoEngine for Django as well (we would love to hear your thoughts on this – do you suggest anything else for Python?).

We have already compiled an „over the wire spec“ which describes the REST interface (attention: it’s work in progress and a few details will change in the next days).
Sounds all interesting? Join the team!
Do you want to become part of this project? Telling us how a proper implementation for Python should look like? Implementing? Great! :-) We would love to hear from you:

twitter: @fceller

email: hackers AT avocadodb.org

P.S. Are you a Java/Lua/C#/Whatever guy and would like AvocadoDB to support your language as well? YES! Ruby, Python and PHP is a good start, but we want to provide other languages as well, of course. So: Contact us as well! :-)

More info...

Get the latest tutorials,
blog posts and news: